We are looking for enthusiastic people with a background in, and passion for Peace Education and/or related fields!
Join our team!
The Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR) is looking for highly motivated people with an interest in Peace Education and/or related fields to join our office based in the Home for Cooperation, at the heart of Nicosia.
The AHDR and our work in Peace Education
The AHDR is a unique multi-communal, non-for-profit, non-governmental organization established in Nicosia in 2003 which is based at the Home for Cooperation in Nicosia. Since its establishment, the AHDR has been promoting critical thinking, historical dialogue and multiperspectivity, especially through its History Education research, projects, publications and events. In the last few years, in the context of the organization’s efforts to promote a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence through education, at a local, national and international level, the AHDR has also engaged in a series of Peace Education projects and activities. These have showcased the impact of deconstructing stereotypes and increasing contact in creating a paradigm shift in education as a prerequisite for laying the foundations for sustainable peace. The implementation of Peace Education projects derives from the recognition, by the AHDR, of the necessity to respond to the educational needs of teachers, students and the society at large in relation to Education for a Culture of Peace as well as to the urgency to highlight the importance of peace and non-violence and increased inter-communal contact for constructing alternative futures for the generations to come. All the above prescribe the implementation of innovative programs and initiatives. It is an imperative for the AHDR to assist educational stakeholders, mainly students and teachers, in redefining the use of terms such as social justice, compassion, solidarity, peace and conflict and deconstruct the ‘friend-enemy’ logic. In this framework, our work on Peace Education focuses on:
- Mono-communal and bi-communal trainings for students and teachers on issues related to a Culture of Peace;
- Design of sustainability actions;
- Organization of local and international conferences, seminars and public debates on education;
- Implementation of bi-communal youth camps;
- Implementation of youth and children clubs;
- Design and publication of training manuals on Peace Education;
- Networking with local and international stakeholders in education.
Interns provide support with the implementation of the Peace Education projects of the AHDR and are supported by our team in developing skills in educational research, project implementation and event organization. Interns engage in both educational and logistical tasks and are expected to work on a wide range of projects. Interns will also assist with the design and implementation of events.
- Proposed length of internship is three (3) to six (6) months, starting in February 2020
- The schedule and number of hours of selected interns can be discussed upon request on an individual basis
- All internships are unpaid: Costs such as housing, travel, living expenses, visa arrangements and medical insurance connected with the internship must be borne by the interns.
- Conducting research and analyzing of data;
- Researching funding sources and drafting proposals;
- Providing logistical and technical assistance with meetings and events;
- Providing assistance with the communications and outreach activities of projects;
- Translating from Greek or Turkish to English and English to Greek or Turkish;
- Attending networking activities and European level meetings and events;
- Other related duties.
We are looking for someone who:
- has experience/interest in peace education and/or related fields;
- demonstrates commitment to the mission and objectives of the AHDR;
- has experience in fundraising, events organization, communication or working with networks;
- is a graduate or current student enrolled in a topic related to Education, Peace Studies, Conflict Resolution, Social Sciences, Human Rights or any other related disciplines;
- has research, project writing, analytical and organizational skills;
- has excellent intercultural communication skills and is diligent when delivering tasks;
- is familiar with social media, Microsoft Office, Canva and websites;
- has strong written and spoken English and Greek or Turkish
- is enthusiastic and committed to social change through education;
- is flexible to work both independently and as part of a team.
We offer you:
- An opportunity to be a full member of a dynamic and intercultural team;
- An opportunity to work independently and take responsibility;
- Discounted Turkish or Greek courses during the duration of the internship (according to level and availability);
- Discounts at the Home Café;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- Access to all AHDR resources and publications.
Please note that the AHDR is only able to offer internships to those legally allowed to work in the European Union. We cannot provide work permits or support work permit applications.
At AHDR, you will have the opportunity to gain work experience in the field of Peace Education. Join our team, develop new skills and connect with youth, educators and organizations in Cyprus and around the world.